This is the beginning of this blog and journey. I am 207 pounds and 5’8″. I am clearly overweight. How do I know I am overweight? Well when I look in the mirror I could tell. Many people however may think that they are not overweight, but they really are. A good way in finding out how over weight you are is calculating your BMI or Body Mass Index. You can find out your BMI easily by plugging in your weight and height into a BMI Calculator. A great BMI calculator that I use is by the CDC. Ideally your BMI should be under 25 however many doctors will be fine with a BMI slightly higher. My BMI is 31.5 which puts me in the borderline obese category. I don’t really feel obese but I am just on the borderline. When your are overweight or obese, you have a higher chance of getting chronic illnesses and getting sick.
Here is a list of diseases that you can get by having a high BMI, taken from the CDC:
- High blood pressure (Hypertension)
- High LDL cholesterol, low HDL cholesterol, or high levels of triglycerides (Dyslipidemia)
- Type 2 diabetes
- Coronary heart disease
- Gallbladder disease
- Osteoarthritis (a breakdown of cartilage and bone within a joint)
- Sleep apnea and breathing problems
- Some cancers (endometrial, breast, colon, kidney, gallbladder, and liver)
- Low quality of life
- Mental illness such as clinical depression, anxiety, and other mental disorders
- Body pain and difficulty with physical functioning
So yes it is scary. Many people loose weight earlier in life to look good, but as you get older the health factor becomes more important.
Some doctors believe that other measurements like Hip to waist Ratio is a better indicator of health. (I will discuss this in a later post) BMI sometimes will be inaccurate if you are an athlete with a high proportion of muscle on your body. For most people the BMI is a good gauge on how healthy you are and how much weight you need to loose. In my case I need to loose 43 pounds.
So, this is just Day 1. I hope you stay with me and hopefully are also inspired to get healthy along with me and have some fun along the way.